If you read our blog, a phrase that you’ll come across pretty often is “short cycling.” We do a good job of giving a brief explanation about it in each blog, but today we’d like to dedicate an entire blog to it. It’s really that important. Short cycling is something that greatly impacts the quality of your air conditioner.
If you notice short cycling, the very first thing you should do is call for AC repair in Summerlin, NV. We’re going to get into all the details that you should know below.
Short Cycling 101
Let’s get into your short cycling crash course.
What It Is
Short cycling is when your air conditioner system literally runs in short cycles.
Your air conditioner will begin to run like normal, run for a short while, stop up short in an odd way, and then start the process all over again. It’s odd, but it’s typically not something that would make you raise too much of an eyebrow. From your end in the home, it might just seem like a weird oddity.
Although it might not seem like a problem, it absolutely is. Make sure that you note this problem as soon as it happens and schedule an appointment to fix it.
Why It Happens
Now you might be wondering… why in the world is this happening? There are a number of things that can cause short cycling to happen in your home. Unfortunately, most homeowners have a combination of the following problems going on. Check to see what’s going on in your home:
- Your air conditioner isn’t properly sized. If this is what’s going on in your home, then you’ve probably noticed short cycling going since your first had your air conditioner installed.
- A low level of refrigerant. This happens because you have a leak! Don’t get trapped in the rhetoric of “recharging” or “refilling” your refrigerant.
- Damaged or clogged ductwork.
- A clogged air filter. If you’re not changing your air filter once every few months, then you’re not getting the service that you need.
- A bad thermostat. Your thermostat gets old too. If you haven’t upgraded your thermostat in a while, then your thermostat is probably bringing down your system as well.
If you’ve realized that any of the things we’ve listed above are things that are going on in your home, then you should fix these issues and call for service as soon as possible.
Why It’s So Bad
One thing that you’ll always hear about short cycling is that it’s terrible for your air conditioner. Have you ever wondered why?
It’s because your air conditioner starting is a labor intensive process. Of course, it’s necessary for it to happen, but it’s not something that should happen multiple times an hour. If your short cycling is at this point of severity, you need to get in touch with a professional. It wears down your air conditioner fast. You’re more likely to encounter air conditioning repair needs or straight up breakdowns due to this type of problem.